2022 Summer Reading
For summer reading, students should read selections chosen by their upcoming ELA teacher. Individual teachers (K-1) may have projects/assignments that each student must complete once returning to school from summer. Students in grades 2-6 will be required to take an AR test on these books, for a grade, upon returning to school. (The deadline for summer reading/AR test is Friday, August 12. This information is also on the HCC Library page under the Summer Reading tab.
MOST FICTION AND NONFICTION texts are available by eBook on our school website. These books were picked out by the teacher and are provided for your child to read (FREE of charge). You can read them on your home computer or device (iPad/iPhone). Some FICTION books ARE NOT ONLINE (K-2). They must be purchased or checked out from the local library. You are likely to have one (or several) of these at home already.
Fiction: Piggie and Elephant (any one of your choice) by Mo Willems
Nonfiction – Choose ONE of the following:
A Herd of Elephants by Amy Kortuem (myOn)
Pigs by Sheri Doyle (myOn)
Fiction: Pete the Cat (any one of your choice) by James Dean
Nonfiction: Cats by Lisa Amstutz (myOn)
Fiction: Henry and Mudge (any one of your choice) by Cynthia Rylant
Nonfiction: Mastiffs by Allan Morey (myOn)
Fiction: Volcano! A Survive! Story by Jake Maddox (myOn)
Nonfiction: Volcanoes by Martha Rustad (myOn)
Greek Myths: (All found on myOn)
*Medusa's Stony Stare by Jessica Gunderson
*Odysseus and the Cyclops by Carey Meister
*The Battle of the Olympians and the Titans by Carey Meister
*Pandora’s Vase by Carey Meister
Fiction - Molly and the Twin Towers: A 9/11 Survival Story by Jessika Fleck (myOn)
Nonfiction - New York by Tyler Maine (myOn)
Fiction: Football Fraud by Jake Maddox (myOn)
Nonfiction - The Super Bowl by Tyler Omoth (myOn)
Fiction: Choose ONE book from one of the following series on myOn:
Nonfiction: Malala Yousafzai by Claire Throp (myOn)
Students are also WELCOME and ENCOURAGED to read any ebooks that are available on myOn, Mackin, Capstone, or Abdo for their reading pleasure over the summer! Take advantage of this free reading!
DIRECTIONS TO ACCESS THESE BOOKS:
- Access the Cleveland School District webpage by going to cleveland.k12.ms.us
- Click Quick Links and then choose Clever from the drop-down menu.
- Log in to Clever by typing in your username and password. The Username is your child’s MSIS number (begins with 00). The password is the MSIS number also.
- Click on myOn, Mackin, Capstone Library, or Abdo Digital.
- If it asks for another username/password for any of these 3 sites, use the following:
Username: hayescooper Password: books
- You can search for the book you are looking for. All the books above are Multi-user books, which means it can be read by multiple users at the same time.